Sometimes we lack the zeal to impliment our daily worship let alone long term, where to find that zeal?
Question: I begin my question by seeking your advice that I may benefit from you with regards to how I may increase my eemaan (faith?)…
Answer: We advise you to recite the Qur'aan frequently and that you increase in your hearing of it and in your recitation of it. Reflect and consider its meaning to the best of your ability and what you do not understand of it, then ask the people of knowledge of your country about it, or write to those outside of your country from the Scholars of Sunnah (Prophetic guidance).
We also advise you to increase in the dhikr (remembrance) of Allaah with such remembrances and supplications that are authentically related, such as saying laa ilaaha illallaah (that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah), or saying subhaanallaah wal-hamdulillaah wa laa ilaha illallaahu wallaahu akbar (declaring Allaah free from all imperfections, praising Him and declaring that none has the right to be worshipped except Him and that He is greater), and their like. For this purpose, we urge you to refer to books such as al-Kalimut-Tayyib of Ibn Taymiyyah, al-Waabilus-Sayyib of Ibn al-Qayyim, Riyaadhus-Saaliheen and al-Adhkaar both by Imaam an-Nawawee, and their like. This is because the remembrance of Allaah increases eemaan (faith) and causes hearts to attain tranquility, as Allaah - the Most High - said: "Indeed in the remembrance of Allaah do hearts find tranquility." [Soorah ar-Ra`d 13:28].
Also preserve your five daily Prayers, your Fasting and the rest of your obligations - along with hoping in Allaah's mercy and forgiveness and relying upon Him in all your affairs. Allaah - the Most High - said: "The Believers are only those who, when Allaah is mentioned, feel a fear in the hearts, and when His Verses are recited to them, it increases their eemaan (faith), and they put their trust and rely upon Allaah alone. They are those who perform the Prayer and spend out of that which We have given them, they are Believers in truth. For them are grades of dignity and nobility with their Lord, and also forgiveness and generous provisions." [Soorah al-Anfaal 8:2-4]
Shaykh `Abdul `Aziz ibn Baz
Fataawaa Lajnatud-Daa'imah lil-Buhoothul `Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa, 3/185-187
My advise is inshAllah to try and implement the following:
1) No matter what happens dont abandon the salah. Push yourself to perform it on time and try not to miss the 5 daily salah. Prepare yourself the night before by making wudhu and making the duas before you go to sleep, go to bed early enough that you may wake up for Fajr inshAllah.Contemplate on the what you say during each stage of salah. Think on how you are standing before your Lord. When you are making wudhu try to get into that frame of mind to prepare for salah, try to attain khushoo. I heard one student of Ilm say the sweetest salah is the one a person attains sakinah and takes his or her time to perform salah without rushing. One attains such satisfaction. So when you perform salah, try not to rush, try to perfect your poses and recitation.
2) Read and contemplate the Quran. This is especially helpful when you are making salah, you grasp what you are saying. Read about what Allah has prepared for the believer, and strive to reach that point.
3) Keep your tongue moist with dhikr. Contemplate on what you utter, seek istighfar and guidance and make dua for Allah to give you the strength to get pass this stage and make you a stronger believer.
4) Constantly thinking about death and akhira. This is a sobering way to think about your goals in this world and the next. Death and the Hereafter, humble one very much. If you can try to ask yourself at the end of each day, what good have I put out today that inshAllah will be upon my meezan ? Act like you have been told, you have a short span on this earth. And truly, we all are travellers, you dont want to die upon such a state when you could have done more for yourself.
5) Think about the blessings in your life and look at those who have less than you. It will make you reflect on alot. If you can, I encourage you to involve yourself in benefitting the muslim community in your area. Look at Allah's creations, many times we go in life not appreciating them.
6) Read the seerah of the Prophet ( salallahu alayhi wa salam) and his companions ( radhiallahu anhum). This will make you reflect on the Iman of these individuals and how they strove to attain Allah's pleasure even through difficult trials.
7) Push yourself to acquire knowledge and to act upon it as best as possible. Start with doing the obligatory and be constant upon it and little by little increase to the level you know you can manage, its better not to overwhelm yourself. Overwhelming yourself can lead one to be disheartened and then to low iman because they feel they couldnt accomplish such and such.
8) Listen to lectures so as to benefit your mind and heart.
9) Strive hard to keep from that which is against the Quran and Sunnah. Looking at the forbidden, eating the haram, listening to the haram etc Doing so strengthens your Iman. This also means to work on the internal and external etc
10) Surround yourself with those who will encourage you upon good inshAllah.